PDA

View Full Version : Having problems getting my MM1 on my F450

Emerscape
11-21-2005, 07:53 AM
I bought a 1999 F450 with what I think is a MM1 Fisher 9 foot. I have a Boss 8 foot on my other truck and have no problems getting it on and off the truck. I am having a difficult time getting my fisher on the f450. I get the truck lined up and onto the plow but cant get the pins to lock in the hole or even close to the hole. It seems like the plow needs to go back about 1/4 of an inch and up about 1/4 an inch. Ive tried using a stone bar to push it up but nearly threw out my back. Lookin in it seems like its all the way back in the frame. Anyone have any suggestions?

plowed
11-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Make sure that you have slack in the lift chain, this sounds like the problem. Push down on the yellow triangle piece on the headgear, in other words collapse the piston to get enough slack in the lift chain. Once you do this, you should be able to push it right up and lock your pins. Do the same to remove the plow, eg collapse the piston creating slack, drop the leg, push the headgear up slightly to take off the weight, pull the pins and you're done. Should literally only take a few seconds once you're lined up to push up the headgear and lock the pins.

Good luck.

Emerscape
11-21-2005, 08:38 AM
John,
Good to see someone from CT. Im originally from New Preston right on Lake Waramaug... I did drop the piston but maybe not far enough but as I recall last night the chain had slack in it. when you say drop the leg do you mean pick up the stand ?

plowed
11-21-2005, 08:55 AM
I know the area, BIL in New Milford. If you have slack in the chain where the piston is all the way collapsed, try the lift leg, perhaps it's hanging up. But first make sure that the piston is collapsed entirely. If the truck side is lining up with the plow side, the leg should already be at the proper height. However, you can pick up the front of the a-frame by hand and raise the leg a hole. Make sure too that you're driving far enough into the plow. If the plow is too far away from the truck it won't line up. You can drive in further to where you're putting light pressure on the plow, as your truck may be shifting back once you put the trans in park, etc. Or get it lined up, drive in, then manually pick up the blade and shift it further up against the truck side.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

Emerscape
11-21-2005, 09:12 AM
I get what your saying but I worked on it for like 2 hours last night. From the looks of it it looks like the plow is all the way in and there is no more room for it to slide under the truck. Ive had the plow mounted before, it was still a *****. I was out there last night with a stonebar trying to pry it up.. Perhaps it is the lift leg it seems like when i try to push up the light tower its giving me a lot of resistance. I think ill wait till thursday and give it another go when I can see during the daylight.. Nothing like my Boss that basically puts itself on the truck with a flick of a switch.

plowed
11-21-2005, 09:17 AM
Is the plow on solid ground, eg concrete, asphalt? If not and it's on the lawn or stone, the support leg could be hanging up as it pivots up. If it's on soft ground, put a piece of lumber or a block, something solid under the leg so that it will move/pivot into place. Stupid question? Are the pins pulled, eg in the extended position? Make sure it's level, or at least that it's lined up well so each side mates up.

Emerscape
11-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Maybe its the support leg. Like i said im about 1/4" to an 1/8" away from getting the pin in the hole. Should I release the pressue on the support leg before I push up on the light tower ?

douglasl330
11-26-2005, 09:33 PM
What your problem sounds like is a very common one if you are on soft ground. Your fix is easy -push head gear forward and adjust lift rod down to next notch then use a patio block under the support leg this should get you there. It's a minute mount from there on in!! :rolleyes:

Stik208
11-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Use a floor jack to get it aligned and on then lift it, lower it into float mode, push the triangle all the way down release the support stand pull the pins and back away and it will be perfectly lined up. Also as everyone else said if its on soft groundput a block or board underneth it before you drop the stand.

Big Dog D
11-28-2005, 08:17 AM
With the Minute Mounts it is important that they be taken off on a solid level surface. This includes that the truck be fairly level too. It makes it much easier as once the lift chain has been stretched to the Max it wont allow the headset to tip back far enough.

Emerscape
12-03-2005, 12:20 PM
well just thought Id update everyone. Went down today and got the plow on in 5 minutes. Turns out the other night in the dark I didnt see the chain getting caught up and not allowing the light tower to fully stand up. Drove right on it and popped the pins. Thanks for all the help.. of course I also just figured out today that I need a new alternator..sweeet ( I still like my boss plow better though :) )

go plow
12-03-2005, 08:13 PM
you guys gave good advise!!!!! im glad to see more people from around my area, or once lived here !!! im in winsted