PDA

View Full Version : MM2 new owner with questions

mikemac
11-08-2005, 11:41 PM
when should i put a cutting edge on my plow? should i wear out the trip edge a little before i put it on?

what height of the plow shoes do you guys run at? how many washers?

Mike

alamarc
11-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Those shoes are useless. Good door stops though

ksland
11-09-2005, 05:05 PM
You should run down the factory edge about an inch. Then bolt on a cutting edge. Usually one season of plowing depending on how much use. I will plow this season which is my second. Then put an edge on.

danno
11-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Keep the shoes for gravel driveways.

wfd44
11-10-2005, 08:24 PM
I generally set the shoes 30" off the ground :D (in the back of the truck). I do use them early in the season when plowing extra parking and access to trailers in my backyard (its grass). But, even then I only use the shoes until the lawn freezes up good and solid.

justme-
11-11-2005, 09:28 AM
First to answer the question:-
The shows are supposed to be adjusted per specific instructions in your plow owner manual- I believe it is supposed to be 1/8 inch above the surface with NO washers on top of the mount. Check your book or call the local Fisher dealer, they'll tell you.

Second- unless you plow gravel they are a waste. they make the edge wear longer by taking off weight from the edge and keeping it from digging into soft ground, but that leaves a layer of snow behind which becomes ice. Learn to judge the height of your blade above the ground and you won;t need them. I have never used feet even on gravel. I leave the blade 1/2 inch or so above the surface when on something soft.

I agree- wear the trip bottom an inch or so before adding an edge- possible up to 2 inches (the back has a wear bar welded on each end for a reference) If you add an edge too early it will clean poorly and never wear, if you only wear an inch off you will only wear that inch off the cutting edge in the future. You should be able to wear 2 inches without blade damage- watch your spring perches. I added a cutting edge to my Ram with only about 3/8 inch worn off- after 6 years it has only worn down 1/2 inch from brand new because of the surface area from the edge and the trip edge of the blade. It doesn't scrape too well but wears like carbide!

Or check other postings for a modification about redrilling the cutting edge mounting holes lower.