PDA

View Full Version : What kind of hydraulic oil??

Robo
11-07-2005, 03:37 PM
I am in the process of getting ready for winter. I am about to change the hydraulic oil in my plow for the first time and am wondering what you guys use in your snoway plows?? The OEM oil is $6.60 a quart, synthetic ATF is $6.29 a quart. According to the manual it has to be 5606 compatible are you guys using dino oil, synthetic or what?? Also what is your sourse for the oil. I have a few places around that will most likely have something to work I just want to find an equivalent which is cheaper and very similar to OEM.

Thank you

SnoFarmer
11-07-2005, 06:13 PM
I use AW hydraulic oil you can get it in qt, gal and 5gal.(A ,all- W, weather.)
in all of my plows boss, hiniker, western and I even had a snoway once upon a time, used it in all of them. Remember to clean the filter too.:nod:

larryjlk
11-09-2005, 06:35 AM
completly drained the system only holds 1.3 quarts and it lasts all season. Why wouldn't you use snoway oil which is designed for your plow. Of all the things that break while plowing and all the costs of repairs what's $6.60 for the season. Oops, $13.20 my bad.:confused:

SnoFarmer
11-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Because, its like only putting Fomo co. oil in your ford or using only mopar oil filters on your Dodge instead of some other brand. There other companies they make the same stuff for less. Your pump is basically the same as every one else's. just configured a little different.
O.k. It's like motor oil there many different brands of oil some cost more than others and some are full of snake oil( a lot of Fancy stuff you don't need.)

I have to buy a couple of gallons to change the fluid in all of the plows laying around here. and your going to need some more down the road too, I carry a gal of the stuff with me when I plow, gust in case a hose blows off.

You can find hyd oil or AFT at every convince store around here, I don't see any snoway oil there. lol..
I don't like to mix different types of oil eather.

larryjlk
11-09-2005, 06:23 PM
well if you have your heart set on using something else, this is from the manual: hydraulic oil is type 5606 which is rated to -60 F, when type 5606 is not available Exxon UNIVIS J13 or equivalent may be used. Hope that helps

Robo
11-09-2005, 07:16 PM
completly drained the system only holds 1.3 quarts and it lasts all season. Why wouldn't you use snoway oil which is designed for your plow. Of all the things that break while plowing and all the costs of repairs what's $6.60 for the season. Oops, $13.20 my bad.:confused:

Well my dealer told me 2.5 quarts or something. Your right $13.20 isn't that badpayup payup .

Robo
11-09-2005, 07:29 PM
I use AW hydraulic oil you can get it in qt, gal and 5gal.(A ,all- W, weather.)
in all of my plows boss, hiniker, western and I even had a snoway once upon a time, used it in all of them. Remember to clean the filter too.:nod:

What does a gallon of this cost you??

Robo
11-09-2005, 07:30 PM
well if you have your heart set on using something else, this is from the manual: hydraulic oil is type 5606 which is rated to -60 F, when type 5606 is not available Exxon UNIVIS J13 or equivalent may be used. Hope that helps

Not set on anything just trying to save a buck or two:nod:

SnoFarmer
11-09-2005, 09:12 PM
NO price, the tag came off. I know it was less than Mfg's oil.

big flounder
11-10-2005, 01:31 PM
univus j13 worked good for my boss at -42.9 and had red color that you could see a drip in the snow clear oils just blend in. At midnight I had a hose crack in the cold and Amsoil ATF made the plow slugish but it was all I had at the time and ended up having to drain it out.Univus j13 was originly made for aircraft hydralics and has antifreeze in it or something ,just like water in the summer,works awesome 5 bucks a liter not bad.

Robo
11-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Got the fluid changed. What is the best way to bleed air out of the lift cylinder. I have never had a hydraulic system be so stubborn. Manual says just cycle it a few times and the air will take care of itself. What do you guys do??

big flounder
11-27-2005, 04:10 PM
univis J13 is now called univis HVI13 and now has a red label and is soposed to be an upgrade with extra dye for leak detection got mine at truck supply store 5.99 liter

lownrangr
11-28-2005, 04:56 PM
Got the fluid changed. What is the best way to bleed air out of the lift cylinder. I have never had a hydraulic system be so stubborn. Manual says just cycle it a few times and the air will take care of itself. What do you guys do??

I did exactally the same thing. Just cycle through the up/down and left/right to work the air out of the lines and rams.

festerw
11-29-2005, 07:57 AM
Nothing you can do for the air it will have to work its self out, I stood in the driveway for half an hour angling/raising the plow and still had some left in it. Don't be suprised if the next time you hook it up it doesn't raise.

Robo
11-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Dats all I need!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: