PDA

View Full Version : Fisher Cutting edge

ebonang
11-01-2005, 07:01 AM
Has anyone heard of this?

I was searching for a new cutting edge for my Fisher 7'6" blade and the one I found extends only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the trip edge. I was talking to a friend of mine who has been pushing snow for many years and he mentioned that some people he has worked with have actually run a blade for the first whole or half season without a cutting edge on it. The reason being that it wears down the trip edge down a little bit so that when a new cutting edge goes on it extends that much further and you get more life from the cutting edge.

This seemed to make sense, but it seems like a gamble because replacing a trip edge if something goes wrong is a lot more expensive than replacing a cutting edge.

What do you guys think?

Andy N.
11-01-2005, 07:03 AM
He is correct. I ran mine without an edge for an entire season before putting a cutting edge on it.

ratlover
11-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Buy the replacement cutting edges so you arnt waiting on em if you need em. Then run the trip edge down till its just about into the bottom of the spring perches(be carefull you dont get into em!!!)

Some people last a season, some many seasons, mine lasted a storm. It all depends on what you are plowing and how you are plowing. Keep an eye on it and you will be fine. Your friend is right IMO.

gino
11-01-2005, 01:39 PM
i ran mine for 2 seasons before I put an edge on it.

smitty
11-01-2005, 03:10 PM
I drilled a new set of holes 2"" below the original set of holes and mount the edge there or wear the edge down a little and make the change later!
If you do option 1 The blade trips a little easier but that sometimes keeps the blade from digging up gravel or stone or unfrozen ground it also goes over
larger objects as the extra width shoots the plow higher when it trips

justme-
11-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Fisher states in the manual to wear the base of the plow in to the spring mounts before attaching a cutting edge. The original Fisher plows were not designed for cutting edges, they intended you to wear the trip edge down and replace it.

Big Dog D
11-04-2005, 06:51 AM
I drilled a new set of holes 2"" below the original set of holes and mount the edge there or wear the edge down a little and make the change later!
If you do option 1 The blade trips a little easier but that sometimes keeps the blade from digging up gravel or stone or unfrozen ground it also goes over
larger objects as the extra width shoots the plow higher when it trips

Be careful with this approach because it also increases the leverage and makes it that much easier to break things!!

smitty
11-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Be careful with this approach because it also increases the leverage and makes it that much easier to break things!!
Big dog
That is when you go with the original set of holes until the edge wears then you move to the new drilled holes!!!!
My last two trucks I just used the new holes and have had no problem!!!
Some times with a fisher if you encounter a high curb the trip will not put you over the top and the extra width sure helps !!!

Joe D
11-04-2005, 06:04 PM
I always ran a 8" X5/8" edge on my fisher plow as it gave the extra 2" of wear before switching to a U edge but it was still 8" tall. Drill the holes out to 5/8 though as 1/2 " will not last