PDA

View Full Version : Moving the cutting edge

ChEc0
10-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Is there anyone in here that have moved there cutting edge down on there fisher's to get more use out of it???my buddy told me about it the other day and i think im gonna do it just wanted to see if anyone has done this

thanks
Matt

tessdad
10-23-2005, 04:13 PM
I do this all the time for my customers. The one ploblem that most poeple have is the "wear resitant" steel welded on the trip edge (aka, base angle) back side. A section of this (or all of it) needs to be removed, (cutting torch) as you can not drill through this with normal drills.
I remove the whole piece, then mark and drill holes two inches lower,paint, using new bolts with new nylon type lock nuts, bolt it all back togeather.
It will trip a bit easier than the original, but unless your a real bang-em-up kind of guy, you should not have a problem. It will also back-drag a small bit better, due to the lowered edge being able to bite into the snow a little more.
I charge $210.00, with parts and labor.

Arc Burn
10-23-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm certainly not knocking anybody here,but you could almost buy 3 new cutting edges for that amount of money,maybe i'm missing the point?

ChEc0
10-23-2005, 09:35 PM
i get my cutting edges for 90$ each and there 5/8
, all im gonna do is take my edge off now drill holes lower put it back on the original holes than when i need to i move it down to the new holes so i get more wear out of them

tessdad
10-24-2005, 07:00 AM
ChEc0,
Most likely you will sttill have the "extra section of metal behind the trip edge, this does not drill.

As to the $210.00 price, that is for a removal of the old edge, wire brushing area, torch removal of the metal mentioned above, drilling, painting, new hardware, reintall on truck.
As most of you know, lobor is the killer. Look at oil changes, you could buy the materials for three oil changes , for what the dealer might charge to do it once.
If a customer wants the metal removed and the holes drilled it's about $100.00, they remove the old edge, etc.

ChEc0
10-24-2005, 04:48 PM
well i saw a plow today that had this done and i think im gonna try it i will take pics and let u guys know how it goes