PDA

View Full Version : How hard to trip a trip edge?

danno
10-21-2005, 09:02 AM
How much pressure does it take to trip a Fisher plow ? Reason I`m asking is I`m refinishing my blade and would like to "open up" the edge for sanding and paint.

I don`t want to remove the springs. I thought of pushing against an object like a tree with the plow, then put in a couple of pieces of pipe "spacers to give me room to work. Crazy idea?

sgthawkusmc
10-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Make sure what ever you push against will hold it! Pushing against a curbing or something is easy. You trucks power will trip it fine. Scary thought having all four springs snapping that bad boy closed while a finger or hand is in there!

danno
10-21-2005, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I know the consequences ! :eek: If I put a couple of pipe pieces in there it should work.

Mick
10-21-2005, 10:11 AM
The only thing that's tripped my Fisher is a very large buried rock and a tree root. When it happened the first time, I thought I'd torn the whole plow off the truck.:eek:

alamarc
10-21-2005, 12:20 PM
That tree idea will work fine. I did it at the end of the season last year. Pull up to the tree with the plow up but not all the way up. Pull up to the tree until the edge hits the tree before the top of the blade does. then as you accelorate into the tree lift your plow the rest of the way up. Put it in park, and THE E-BRAKE!!!! then put what ever you want in the edge to hold it. ( i used a wood splitting wedge because it was solid steel and because it wouldn't pop out.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

(watch your fingers just in case.)

toolbox13069
11-13-2005, 11:52 PM
Look In The Fisher Engineer Ques On This Site Look For I Need A Clue Those Springs Have Some A** Behind Them I Didnt Realize The Hastle Of Re Install But I Did It

Flipper
11-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Use the pin holes in the spring arms to hold the edge open. A couple 5/16 bolts will work. Avoid putting things in the edge to blade opening.

tessdad
11-14-2005, 11:30 AM
A steel splitting wedge is more likely to slip out than a good piece of oak wedge or similar, steel on steel is a no-no when fingers (or safety) are involved.
The holes in the spring bars is the safest way, if your plow is old, drill your own holes. I prefer to use a good cum-a-long hooked to the bottom edge and back to the a-frame. If the plow is off the truck, be sure the hoses are NOT connected, as this will keep the A-frame in place, if they are connected the frame can move side to side ALL too easy!