PDA

View Full Version : Back Drag- Blade height on ground?

danno
10-21-2005, 07:01 AM
I`m fabricating a back drag on my Fisher very similar to VThick`s setup. What I would like to know is, should the back blade be level on the ground with the front blade edge. Or lower to "lift up" the front blade edge, when dragging in reverse ?

Mick
10-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Level with the front blade. You're just plowing in reverse. Just make sure when it's on a level surface, it's neither higher nor lower than the front one. Either way could cause problems. I'd say the best situation would be if you would fab the back blade on a pivot so if you're going forward and came to an incline, the back blade would lift to allow the front blade to scrape clean.

danno
10-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks Mick.
What about if the blade were on a "hinge" where going forward the back blade would "drag " on top of any snow. But reverse. the back blade would hit the lower spring bracket and stay vertical. This would probably mean it could be slightly lower than the front blade with more "weight" on the drag.

Also, how would having the back blade only, being secured with bolts instead of welding to the holding bracket be ? This way the back blade could either be adjusted for height, or removed for other reasons. Of course, the metal going to the plow rib would have been welded first.

Mick
10-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Letting the imagination run here - How about having the back blade on sleeves through the arms so the back blade could swing freely? When going forward, it would follow the contour of the ground. But when in reverse, it would dig in. I think you'd still want to keep it even with the plow to keep it from digging into gravel, broken pavement etc. Being thinner than the moldboard of the plow, it would tend dig in more. But then it would also be more susceptible to damage.

I compared our last two posts and seems like we're saying the same thing, except I think you'll want to keep the two even.