PDA

View Full Version : Fisher electrical hookups

alamarc
10-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a gripe and a question.

Why did fisher decide to change their electrical hookups? MM1 used two plugs which were permenantly mounted to the grill. MM2 now uses one plug which is mounted to the grill and two more plugs which when not hooked to the plow just sit there on the bumper. I was wondering why Fisher changed the design and why they could not havekept the two plug design.

The MM1 left the truck looking neat and i just think the MM2 hookup leaves the front of the truck looking messy. Also the bumper must take a beating over time with the plugs just rubbing over the paint/chrome constantly.

Crash935
10-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Its actually a 2 part deal, and you can thank GM for the first part. When they were designing the iso system gm was just going to the wiring system where there is constant power to the headlights and you merely turn on the ground with the headlight switch, they then also started seperating the headlights where each bulb is on its own circuit with a wire just heavy enough to carry the load for that bulb. Fisher/western had to do the same thing for the plow, power for the drivers side plow light comes from the drivers side headlight and the same for the passengers side. Dodge was right behind GM with this wonderful idea. Fisher realized that the old 12 pin plug wasnt going to be big enough to carry both the lighting duties and control duties (especially for a v plow which needs an additional 3 wires) and they didnt like the idea of a large plug similar to what boss has (( i thought they asked everyone their opinion but they must have missed you) just kidding) so what you have is the end result, one plug for lighting and one for plow controls that just happen to plug into each other for storage.

On the up side, the iso system is probably one of the most reliable harness systems out right now, in 4 years of installing the iso (probably close to 500 installs) i have only replaced one box and have yet to replace a harness where the pins were worn out.

Grn Mtn
10-18-2005, 07:09 PM
The MM1 left the truck looking neat and i just think the MM2 hookup leaves the front of the truck looking messy.

Mine tuck in behind the grill during the summer.

alamarc
10-20-2005, 11:06 AM
so if thats the case could you concievably mount all three on the grill and put the covers on them all or do the two that you plug togther have connections that must be together?

Yaz
10-20-2005, 01:00 PM
No you don't have to be put together. One of them doesn't have the indent for a flat cutout mount (the female). That's why I didn't mount it myself. Also they don't have a rubber cover for it. If you did find a way to mount it it would be exposed. Putting them together just keeps the water and dirt out. I know it's a little of a pain with dangling wires. I totaly agree they could have thought of a better connector sysem as far as the mounting. At least with the way they have it now, you can plug in the wrong harness at time of hookup.

Merc1100sc
10-20-2005, 03:55 PM
What kind of truck do you have? On my chevy, I stick the rubber cap on the power cable(passenger side) and tuck that into the bumper through the vent on the bumper (2003 truck). do the same for the light and plow function wires on the driver side(plugged together of course). Just zip tie these wires/cables close enough to this opening so you can tuck them in there. this way they wont fall through the back when not in use. Also, you cant even see them when the plow is off.

Frozen001
10-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Any body know where you can get those flat plates that hold the wires??? I have seen a couple of truck around here that have them in a plate that is attached to the grille...

Merc1100sc
10-20-2005, 04:15 PM
my buddy made some out of aluminum once to hold the wires. it was a plate that had a bracket which mounted to the license plate bracket and the wires themselves sat right on top of the bumper top cover which the plugs sitting in the aluminum plate.

alamarc
10-20-2005, 06:18 PM
I bet you could probably make a cover for the female out of a piece of rubber or plastic. Just cut off enough of the material to fit inside of the female connection to seal out the crap.

I know i could probably just tuck the cables into the bumper area but i just like the ease of the old style. Just pop the covers off and your set.

99zr2
10-25-2005, 06:59 PM
For the female conector you could just get the same rubber holder that is attaced to the headgear. It is made to fit a female end. The to not loose it take a zip tie or something to hold it to the grill. That way you wont have to worry about loosing it.

Crash935
10-25-2005, 10:13 PM
Any body know where you can get those flat plates that hold the wires???

Stop by your fisher dealer, we use to throw the darn things away by the bucket, ened up with at least 2 sets for every install, maybe he will be nice and let you have a set.

Flipper
10-25-2005, 10:48 PM
I like the newer system. Like older conventional mounts it puts the lights seperate from the pump control. Makes switching lights (when they break) easier and also makes troubleshooting easier.