PDA

View Full Version : fisher problem

meathead1134
09-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Here is the scoop, I took my plow to a place to get wokred on because the lights didn't work at all. The place is across from Seekonk Speedway in MA. I called them up and they said that the plow was ready but the plow dosen't angle left or right. I said what??? I said thats funny it was working fine when I brought it in. He also stated that the plow goes up real slow. I haven't picked it up yet so I don't know what to expect. What can cause the plow to go up real slow and not angle??? I asked the guy did you look at it? He said that he wasn't comfortable to look at it and states It's probally the pump. I say ok. He also states that I should take it to fisher and have them look at it. Also I'm not sure when the last time the hydraulic fluid was replaced, they wanted 100.00 to replace the fluid. BTW this place is boss dealer, he states that they work on all types of plows. Can somebody help me out here? Sorry for alot of questions

BTW 250.00 to fix the lights it needed some relays. I think that kind of high what do you think

Frozen001
09-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Find a fisher dealer, they should be able to fix it.... Also if they fix all types of plow why is he not "comfortable" working of the angle/lift problem, sounds a bit shady to me.

$250 to fix some relays is crazy :eek:.

Someone can correct me here, but I believe that those relay also controll the angle/lift functions so maybe when he was "reparing" it he did not seat the relay correct in the socket, or put a bad on in.

sgthawkusmc
09-13-2005, 10:48 AM
You brought a Fisher plow to a major competitor to be worked on? Why would they want your Fisher to be up and running smoothly when they sell another brand? $250 is crazy, but remeber, tracing wiring isn't always easy. It COULD be legit. Sounds suspect though. If it worked when you dropped it off, it sure as hell should be working when you pick it up.

meathead1134
09-13-2005, 11:26 AM
he was recomended by a friend that had a fisher plow serviced there. On the business card it states that they work on all types of plows. As soon as the manager staed that they don't feel comfortable working on it, this threw a flag in my head. Now I'm pissed off at the place and they are going to hear about it when I get there tonight. The plow did angle fine when I dropped it off, I even straighten the blade so it would fit into the parking spot go figure. I'm sure that its not going to be pretty when I get there. I'm going to contact a fisher dealer when I get out of work today. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens :realmad:

sgthawkusmc
09-13-2005, 12:23 PM
Good luck. Keep your head unless their attitude warrants different... Might be a legit reason for everything. I always have to remind myself about that. Sometimes I'm not the most patient sort of guy...

polplow
09-13-2005, 03:46 PM
contact stanley truck equipment in uxbridge. They should be able to help you out. You should be able to change the fluid, easy to do.

meathead1134
09-13-2005, 06:13 PM
I got off the phone with him today and he stated that the plow wouldn't raise. He told me that it was the not the pump but the other motor (can't remember the name) that the part would be about 100 dollars and the labor would be about 200.00 (67.00) for labor. He states that it is something that he can do

Crash935
09-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Sounds like your getting the shaft,

the relays for the headlights have nothing to do with the plow functions, so if he changed 2 realys what else did he mess with,

did he check for good connections at the battery, solenoid and pump? A bad ground will get you every time!

Okay, maybe the fluid did get contaminated and is plugging the pickup filter, 2 quarts of fluid $15, 1 hour to drain casing, clean/replace filter, flush cylinders and refill $50-$75

How does he know its not the pump, or why is it the motor, what is the output pressure of the pump? amp draw on the motor?

And why did it suddenly stop working once he touched it?

meathead1134
09-14-2005, 08:56 AM
Sounds like your getting the shaft,

the relays for the headlights have nothing to do with the plow functions, so if he changed 2 realys what else did he mess with,

did he check for good connections at the battery, solenoid and pump? A bad ground will get you every time!

Okay, maybe the fluid did get contaminated and is plugging the pickup filter, 2 quarts of fluid $15, 1 hour to drain casing, clean/replace filter, flush cylinders and refill $50-$75

How does he know its not the pump, or why is it the motor, what is the output pressure of the pump? amp draw on the motor?

And why did it suddenly stop working once he touched it?

I know the relays have nothing to to with the plow function. I had the plow on the truck twice before and noticed that it was going up slow and angleing slowly. He states that him and his boss "checked it over and assured me that its not the pump" so he said that it would run for a little while and get tired and not move at all. I'm going by what he said. I'm no mechanic I should know in about a week. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. I'm hoping that everything turns out ok

meathead1134
09-28-2005, 11:51 AM
I got my truck back yesterday after the part in the pump that needed to be replaced just my luck it was on backorder. Now the plow angles very quickly and goes up and down 10x faster than when I first got it. I get it home and I put the plow in float and I noticed that the plow dosen't go all the way down still an inch off the ground. I called the guy back and he stated that they put some sort of safety chain so if something happened while driving it wouldn't hit the ground or something like that. I have to adjust some chain when I get home on the a frame. I'll take a look but I'll probally end up posting again asking how to do this. When I bought the truck It came with no material on the plow and the insrtuctions were worn off on the plow. One of these days I'l figure it out. total bill came to $638.00 which included a new battery for the truck. I knew my battery was on the way out anyway. They couldn't get the truck started in the shop because the battery had just died. Oh well what can you do. I'll check tonight and see what I can do

sgthawkusmc
09-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Put the plow down to the point where it stops. See what chain is stopping it from going down further. Probably one going from the A frame to a notch in the upright. Put the plow up a little and then take the chain out of the notch. Let the plow down. It should go all the way down now. Usually I leave that chain in the A frame box on the older Fishers.

meathead1134
09-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Put the plow down to the point where it stops. See what chain is stopping it from going down further. Probably one going from the A frame to a notch in the upright. Put the plow up a little and then take the chain out of the notch. Let the plow down. It should go all the way down now. Usually I leave that chain in the A frame box on the older Fishers.

thats exactly what I did I feel like an idiot.

KenG
09-28-2005, 06:45 PM
When I bought the truck It came with no material on the plow and the insrtuctions were worn off on the plow.

If you go to Fisher's tech section (http://www.fishersnowplows.com/publications.asp?cat=38) , you can download a PDF version of your owner's manual, as well as other info.

snoluvr
10-01-2005, 06:15 PM
I know exactly who you are talking about. First mistake was to take it to a guy that sells trailers..In the case of your plow, lets say you were the one who was "wright"....anyone can put anythign on a business cards, doesnt mean they know what they are doing. A buddy of mine got shafted by this guy..same thing.Brought a plow in for routine maint. that most people do themselves, walked out paying $695.00..couldnt even tell me what was done to it!! Buckys in Cranston is the way to go..we had a major breakdown during the blizzard, called, and in 45 minutes we arrived and a new plow was waiting out front all ready to hook to..Good luck with the plow.i carry extra parts kit, for about $150 from them in the truck.

Crash935
10-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Everyone that owns a fisher or western should have a tech guide, its the same exact guide that they give to us techs at school and its the same guide we use in the shop. They are easy to use, uses a flow chart guide to point you in the right direction with great pics and directions of how to fix the problem.

ChEc0
10-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Listen u should have posted here before going to Wright trailers i hvae had nothing but problems with those guys im not even aloud back in there my problems werent about plows they were about fifth wheels but they are a bunch of chowder heads over there

Big Dog D
10-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Did you ever check and see how the contacts on the plugs were? It sounds like they may be rotted or rotting. Usually when we have aplow that goes up and doen fine but not side to side just wiggiling the plugs will get them to make contact and work again. Same thing with the lights.

Chris-R
10-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Meathead: You have received some very good advice. For plow repairs either go to Bucky's in Cranston or Stanley Truck Equipment in Uxbridge right off of Rt. 146. Both places are very good. The Seekonk place has a very bad reputation.

douglasl330
10-06-2005, 05:03 PM
I've had problems with the plugs before that was giving me a similar headache! Electrical problems are no fun, but it looks like you learned a valuble lesson. Stay far away from that place! How long was the truck at the shop? It's very rare to have to wait for a part longer than a couple days with fisher! the way this thread sounded be glad you got the truck back and it was only $638. :eek:

Cheers,