PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Mount for 2500HD

Iowa
08-06-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm getting a 8' Pro Mounted on a 03 2500HD. I was looking at the parts list on Western's site, and there are two different mounts for this truck? What's the difference between the two, and is there no bar that goes across on this mount, just those two brackets that go where the tow hooks go?

William B.
08-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Iowa- I believe that they came out with a second mount that is lower then the original one that came out so no cutting of the lower valance would be needed. You are correct, there is no cross piece like on the Uni-Mount set up.

William

T-MAN
08-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Actually there is a cross piece between the two frame mounts for an ultra mount. Lowering your frame mount on a Chevy is probally not a good idea :rolleyes: lets face it those Chevys ride low enough with the plow frames barely clearing an obstacle. I think you guys are a bit confused. The ultramount comes in one configuration, a frame mount with sockets that attach for the plow to hook too.

Todd

dlcs
08-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Actually there is a cross piece between the two frame mounts for an ultra mount. Lowering your frame mount on a Chevy is probally not a good idea :rolleyes: lets face it those Chevys ride low enough with the plow frames barely clearing an obstacle. I think you guys are a bit confused. The ultramount comes in one configuration, a frame mount with sockets that attach for the plow to hook too.

Todd

Mine doesn't. The chevy 3/4 ton, newest body style, uses the Western Mount with 2 sockets mounted to each frame rail. There are no cross bars between the sockets. Yes, there are 2 mounts, the newest hangs a tad lowers so you don't need to cut the lower valance.

Iowa
08-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Mike could you get me a pic or two of what it looks like on your truck? Do you have the type where you had to cut the bumper?

Crash935
08-06-2005, 04:36 PM
If your getting a brand new plow installed there would be a very slim chance that the dealer would even have the older mount where cutting of the valnce is required.

Actually, there are 3 versions of that mount, the first one did have a cross bar (mount # 67981), they deleted the cross bar and made some structural changes on the second version (mount # 67981-1) the third was designed to replace the first to versions and to take into consideration the changes GM had made to the front of the truck by pushing the bumper out and down slightly, this version did not require any cutting of the valance ( mount # 67981-2)

T-MAN
08-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Sorry for the mistake my bad.
I cant imagine "lowering" the mount on a Chevy IFS. Do these things come with Superduty skid plates on the plow a-frame ? My buddies chevy gasser with the "old" style ultra scraped on its own shadow how could they lower the mount and not have issues ?
Not trying to bash anyone here just cant see how they could modify it, and lower the mount so the a-frame is not dragging on the ground.
Todd

dlcs
08-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Sorry for the mistake my bad.
I cant imagine "lowering" the mount on a Chevy IFS. Do these things come with Superduty skid plates on the plow a-frame ? My buddies chevy gasser with the "old" style ultra scraped on its own shadow how could they lower the mount and not have issues ?
Not trying to bash anyone here just cant see how they could modify it, and lower the mount so the a-frame is not dragging on the ground.
Todd

Never a problem scraping with my 2500.

Crash935
08-07-2005, 07:10 PM
For some reason, the older 2500's had a real nose down problem and the mount would scrape road kill off the road, About the time GM changed the front bumper they also changed the stance of the front end and brought it up it so at least it sits pretty close to level before the plow.

I dont have my books here but if i remember right they only lower the mount about 1/4 inch and pushed it out just shy of 3/4 inch.

Crash935
08-07-2005, 07:24 PM
mount #67981 model #3529 Ultra Mount Fits 1999 and later GMC/Chevy 1500HD,2500,2500HD/3500. Contains crossbar, does not affect application. Customer can choose to keep or remove crossbar. Crossbar was removed because it wasn't needed and was seen as a weight reduction. Tabs can be trimmed to fit an 03 Chevy 2500/3500.
mount #67981-1 model #3529 Ultra Mount Tabs were also trimmed due to bumper bracket change. Cross bar removed. Fits 99-03 Chevy 1500HD,2500/2500HD/3500.
mount #67981-2 model #3529 Ultra Mount Mount redesigned to move attaching point forward and eliminate the need to notch lower air dam on bumper and bumper interference. (99-03 Chevy 1500HD/ 2500/2500HD/3500)

Found this on westerns site giving the history of the HD mount. The tabs they are refering to are the vertical tabs that the horizontal bolts go through on each side of the frame at the factory tow hook bolt location, it was required to trim a 1/2 inch off the top of the tabs for 01 or 02 trucks because of factory changes caused the tops of the tabs to hit the bumper mounting bracket.

T-MAN
08-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Never a problem scraping with my 2500.

What year truck, how many turns on the torsion bars and how heavy of a plow ?
MY friend
has an 03 2500, with an 8' straight western. He finally cranked up the suspension but it still wont clear an average height curb with out scraping.

So the new mount does not cut the air dam at all ? They lowered it so the receptacle side is below the dam ? WOW Im impresed to say the least, Kudos to western. In my mind that means its frame is that much closer to its shadow LOL.
Todd

Frozen001
08-08-2005, 03:16 PM
My 04 2500hd clears your average curb with my 8' western pro plow in the up position. And when I put 265 tires on it should never have any problems...