PDA

View Full Version : Solinoid hook up on a chevy

SWC
12-16-2004, 05:11 PM
I had to put a new solinoid on my chevy 2500.

Right now the solinoid will click when I operate the touch pad, but the pump doesn't do anything.

I thought maybe I had the hot and the ground reversed, and when I took the ground off to switch them around I noticed it wasn't hooked up on the other end.

I had an engine rebuild done back in the spring, and they didn't hook up the Black ground wire that comes from the fender mounted solinoid.

Where should I hook the ground, to the engine somewhere, or to the starter?

TLS
12-16-2004, 05:20 PM
The only power connections you have to the pump are + and -

On the solenoid you have + (pos) from the battery on one big lug and + (pos) from the other big lug going right to the plow pump (or quick connect plug). Then your small wire connects to your solenoid to control it.

Then you take a - (negative) cable from the battery to the quick connect plug then to the ground on the pump.

SWC
12-16-2004, 06:15 PM
The only power connections you have to the pump are + and -

On the solenoid you have + (pos) from the battery on one big lug and + (pos) from the other big lug going right to the plow pump (or quick connect plug). Then your small wire connects to your solenoid to control it.

Then you take a - (negative) cable from the battery to the quick connect plug then to the ground on the pump.

Every thing to the pump is connected.

I have the positive from the battery to the solenoid.

I have the small wire hooked to the solenoid.

The only thing that's not hooked up is the large black cable from the solenoid, I assume it's an engine ground.

It was either hooked directly to the starter or to the engine somewhere before.

I'm sure it ran in that direction before, towards the starter somewhere. :rolleyes:

Maybe my set up is different from yours.

I have myers E-60 pump.

SWC
12-16-2004, 07:13 PM
I double checked my setup TLS.

According to the manual it hooks up the way you said; However the wiring is very long, and has been taped up into a harness of some sort which includes the wiring for the starter, so it all runs back towards the starter.

I'll have to untape the harness and sort it all out.

I'm not sure who rigged it all up like that, but to who ever did.... :guns:

Mebes
12-17-2004, 12:49 AM
If I am reading this correctly.

You said that your solenoid clicks when you operate the pad.
That means that the small wires on the solenoid are hooked up correctly.
This is normal (the click)

Sounds to me like the big wires on the solenoid are not hooked up correctly.

Follow the wires back from the pump on the plow to see if they are hooked up.

1 wire will be attached to an insulated stud on the pump motor. (should be your pos wire)

1 wire should be hooked to the body of the motor or nearby on the plow frame.
(this is the neg wire)

the pos wire should be hooked to 1 side of the solenoid on a large stud.
And the other large stud on the solenoid should go to the pos terminal of your battery.

The solenoid is like a light switch for your pump motor.
When the small studs gets a signal from the controller it connects the 2 large studs on the top to run the pump.

SWC
12-17-2004, 07:37 PM
If I am reading this correctly.

You said that your solenoid clicks when you operate the pad.
That means that the small wires on the solenoid are hooked up correctly.
This is normal (the click)

Sounds to me like the big wires on the solenoid are not hooked up correctly.

Follow the wires back from the pump on the plow to see if they are hooked up.

1 wire will be attached to an insulated stud on the pump motor. (should be your pos wire)

1 wire should be hooked to the body of the motor or nearby on the plow frame.
(this is the neg wire)

the pos wire should be hooked to 1 side of the solenoid on a large stud.
And the other large stud on the solenoid should go to the pos terminal of your battery.

The solenoid is like a light switch for your pump motor.
When the small studs gets a signal from the controller it connects the 2 large studs on the top to run the pump.

Yeah, everything is hooked up exept for the large black wire.

It's run back towards the starter.

It looks like whoever installed the plow(I bought the rig used) used two seperate leads as the large black wire, and used a small bolt and nut to splice them together, then they taped it and the leads from the battery to the starter together into a harness to eliminate the clutter of wires.

I can see the other end of the lead back near the starter where it comes out of the harness, it still has the bolt in it, so all I have to do is hook it back up.

I hope, I'm almost certain that's what I need to do.

I'll find out tomorrow.

Just in time, I hear theirs a storm brewing for Sunday & Monday.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. :nod: