PDA

View Full Version : Snow EX junior 325... got screwed any ideas?

puredreamz
01-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Basically local place where i buy my salt, i know the junior 325 requires bagged rock salt. Trying to save a little, the skid can get pricey. So I asked the place if bulk road salt and rock salt where the same, guy says yes.

So i purchase a yard of bulk salt, threw it in the 325 and it wouldnt spread. Seems to fine . The auger will just make a hole around the salt and wont flow into it.

MY question is seasons almost over is this normal or is it possible the bulk salt may be a little wet?

anything i can try to make this work mixing it with some rock salt, something/ anything?

suzuki0702
01-22-2011, 06:42 PM
its wet. sure you can get a vibrator

puredreamz
01-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Will it take long to dry I have a yard ?

slongfellowii
01-22-2011, 08:19 PM
It will never dry out. Salt absorbs water from the air as soon as its mined. Bagged salt never gets exposed. You would need a hot dry climate or an oven. The 325 is not a heavy duty unit.

puredreamz
01-23-2011, 03:38 PM
i know its not heavy duty, i dont need a heavy duty unit. the yard i purchased is stored in a storage unit, but its located outdoors, it looks like its dry a bit, i have heaters in the unit maybe i should turn them on.

OR

Mixed with some rock salt, you think it will make a difference

P&M Landscaping
01-23-2011, 04:23 PM
i know its not heavy duty, i dont need a heavy duty unit. the yard i purchased is stored in a storage unit, but its located outdoors, it looks like its dry a bit, i have heaters in the unit maybe i should turn them on.

OR

Mixed with some rock salt, you think it will make a difference

As others have said, try the Karrier Vibrator. Those usually will help the material to flow in the auger

puredreamz
01-23-2011, 04:29 PM
anyone know the average cost of one of these items ?

P&M Landscaping
01-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Can be found here:

http://www.karrierco.com/vibrators.htm

puredreamz
01-23-2011, 06:45 PM
wow not sure about u guys i find that expensive $195 for vibrator $236. for the kit and thats just the basic kit.

slongfellowii
01-23-2011, 07:38 PM
wow not sure about u guys i find that expensive $195 for vibrator $236. for the kit and thats just the basic kit.

How much are you charging to salt? How much is the frustration of having a salter that wont spread salt worth. You can transfer it if you ever upgrade salters.

puredreamz
01-23-2011, 09:34 PM
I have employees working for me, I'll just make them stand in the back of the truck and whip salt around, wouldnt be the first time.

puredreamz
01-25-2011, 08:02 AM
if i decide to go this route any local dealers in Canada toronto, ontario. Also how do these mount to my 325 snow ex

wildwilly
01-26-2011, 11:18 AM
My local snowex dealer quoted me over 300 for the kit..and I have looked into them the cheapest and most reputable dealer is going to be from karrier. I went the same route as you..trying to save $$$ and got the same results as you. Ended up using my fertilizer spreader..if that helps. I will be getting a vibrator for sure next year. Big learning curve!
save up for next year.

puredreamz
01-26-2011, 11:28 AM
trust me i did a big learning curve this year, wasted my money with bagged rock salt, buying skids its easier to work with but triple the money of bulk salt.

trying to find a karrier vibrator locally so i can jump on it and install it, but all i keep finding is those earthquake vibrators

wildwilly
01-26-2011, 11:45 AM
I looked into the earthquake too... but 200lbs is the min. that he carries and is way too much for our small salters...there is no local karrier dealer..you have to call them and order it. I t will take a max of 1 week to get here sent by usps. If you get it shipped quickly there will be additional charges that will make it prohibitive. I am in a cash crunch right now otherwise I would have got one the week I picked up the bulk salt.

wildwilly
01-26-2011, 11:49 AM
not sure if it helps but my local rona is selling his bagged 40kg 3 for the price of 2..its a different kind. more uniform in size as opposed to the other bagged and it has a non caking agent int it too

wildwilly
01-26-2011, 11:56 AM
BTW it mounts below the support bracket near the throat of the where the auger runs up the middle of the unit

x.system
01-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Check this thread for a DIY version.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=111116

just plow it
02-04-2011, 10:23 PM
For a cheap fix take a short piece of small chain "about 4 inches or so" and weld it to the top of your auger so when you turn the salter on it will spin and chew a bigger hole in the salt and chances are the salt will fall. If it doesen't just hit your brakes and it should slide down.