PDA

View Full Version : snowex 7500 issues

04f350powerv-xt
01-20-2011, 11:47 AM
I've been having problems with my salter, pretty well everytime I go out for the last year (maybe 20-30 times) it will spit out an error code. Usually th OL code, or it will just flash 10-99 on the auger speed. then i will flick it on and off, back up fast and hit the brakes hard, wiggle the wires and away i go again. sometimes it will not work for 5 minutes then all of a sudden start working again. I brought it to the dealer and they looked it over for 2 hous and couldn't find anything wrong. Ichecked the plug and it looks good, wiring looks tip top, motor was tested and was fine.
I wanted to hook up some lights on the back of the salter so i ran the power straight to the battery and figured I could splice the ground wire into the salter ground. when i turned the salter on it just beeped and didnt display any numbers on the screen. so I disconected the lights and it worked fine. Later that night I went out to salt and all was well till 1/2 way through when it stoped working and displayed the OE code and wouldnt work for 10-15 minutes. fiddled around with it a little and it started again, didnt really do anything to it basically just waited for it to stop PMS-ing and away i went. When i got home i checked the conections in the back of the controller and found one of the ground conectors a little melted (pic attached to show which one) just one of the 2 black plugs was melted on the controller side as well as the plug itself. Could that be from splicing into the ground for the lights? I cleaned up the melted mess as best i could and everything worked well, untill this morning when it started flashing from 10 to 99 again. went home to take it apart and........it works again!!! so frustrating! :realmad:
Not really sure where to go from here its hard to fix something when its not broken and whenever i try to look at it starts working again.
Ive been researching it alot and hear people talk about Karrier controllers and replacing the bumper plug. where can i get a better plug? I allready emailed Karrier to see what a new one is worth if they can even get it to me in ontario canada. (dealer told me $1050+tax for a new snowex controller!!!!) Things aren't cheap in Canada so all you US citizens.....count your blessings ussmileyflag
thanks, any help is appreciated.

broncscott
01-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Sometimes when connections get hot it is due to to a loose connection. I have bent the metal tabs in my Snow Ex control and harness. I think the reason you could not use the ground on the Snow Ex harness is because the ground side actually controls the speed of the motors. Scott

goel
01-23-2011, 10:59 AM
If I have problems with any of my snow ex controllers, I will replace them with Karrier - never heard a bad thing about them and they are plug and play for snow ex. For me, it means a trip to the states - I will have it drop shipped, pick it up and drive it home - but I should recieve a better product much cheaper.

clark lawn
01-23-2011, 12:23 PM
first find a snowex dealer that can check the controller, chances are its fine. you CANNOT run anything but the sreader through the harness. if you already cut into it call Karrier about a new harness, i got one this year and it is great. alot better built than OEM ones.

BTW: OL is overload and OE is open electric circut.

SnowEx Products
01-24-2011, 09:00 AM
I've been having problems with my salter, pretty well everytime I go out for the last year (maybe 20-30 times) it will spit out an error code. Usually th OL code, or it will just flash 10-99 on the auger speed. then i will flick it on and off, back up fast and hit the brakes hard, wiggle the wires and away i go again. sometimes it will not work for 5 minutes then all of a sudden start working again. I brought it to the dealer and they looked it over for 2 hous and couldn't find anything wrong. Ichecked the plug and it looks good, wiring looks tip top, motor was tested and was fine.
I wanted to hook up some lights on the back of the salter so i ran the power straight to the battery and figured I could splice the ground wire into the salter ground. when i turned the salter on it just beeped and didnt display any numbers on the screen. so I disconected the lights and it worked fine. Later that night I went out to salt and all was well till 1/2 way through when it stoped working and displayed the OE code and wouldnt work for 10-15 minutes. fiddled around with it a little and it started again, didnt really do anything to it basically just waited for it to stop PMS-ing and away i went. When i got home i checked the conections in the back of the controller and found one of the ground conectors a little melted (pic attached to show which one) just one of the 2 black plugs was melted on the controller side as well as the plug itself. Could that be from splicing into the ground for the lights? I cleaned up the melted mess as best i could and everything worked well, untill this morning when it started flashing from 10 to 99 again. went home to take it apart and........it works again!!! so frustrating!

You are probably experiencing problems because you spliced into the spreader wiring harness. Our controllers use dual pulse modulation, so if you cut into the wiring harness, the controller will give you an overload code. The reason we use dual-pulse modulation is for calibration purposes. This ensures the spinner will always turn at a consistent rate according to the speed setting. We encourage you to call customer service at 1-800-SALTERS if you wish to discuss the issue in further detail. We’ll be able to serve you better that way. Thanks!

04f350powerv-xt
02-04-2011, 08:36 AM
thanks for the imput guys, one thing though, I was having these problems with the salter long before I spliced into the salter ground. That being said, there is something else going on here.
Thanks again

downeastlandscp
02-13-2011, 12:53 PM
heads up.. we have an 08 f250 superduty. just put a snowex 7550 in it and had similar problems... found out ford puts a 650 cold cranking amp (CCA) battery in the truck stock. replaced with the biggest battery that fits from napa 885 CCA. havent had problems since! It seems the stock one battery setup isnt enough for the electric motors. We thought of a second battery but got quotes of $500-700 from various dealers and haven't really needed the second battery.

downeastlandscp
02-13-2011, 12:54 PM
oh yea if you draw too much power and dont have the CCA to back it everything heats up from the power draw.