PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Grease ??


Bagger
01-09-2011, 10:32 AM
This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway.

I know that dielectric grease is recommended for electrical connections. But, can I use just some general purpose grease, like wheel bearing grease for the lights and power connections on my plow?

twinman326
01-09-2011, 10:34 AM
U probably could..

Myself, I would use the dielectric grease..Very cheap, any auto parts store sell it..

South Seneca
01-09-2011, 10:41 AM
My understanding is that dielectric grease does not conduct electricity.

Use of regular grease could cause current to bleed across to other connectors. I wouldn't do it.

Carpenter98
01-09-2011, 10:50 AM
I'll second South's post. Dielectric doesn't conduct electricity so don't get it inside your plugs...just around the rim to seal out water.

jsc824
01-09-2011, 11:05 AM
I put dielectric grease inside my plugs frequently, and never have problems. It eventually dissapates and I re apply. I have no corrosin on my plugs at all from this

trqjnky
01-09-2011, 01:09 PM
dialectric grease is meant to be applied in the plug. the metal connectors touch each other <giggle> and make contact, but where they arent touching, the grease creates a seal and protects them from water and dirt... use liberally, theres always time for lube!

Bagger
01-09-2011, 01:53 PM
I've used 'general purpose/bearing' grease on my battery connectors before without any bad results. The dielectric tube says to do this as well .... I'd guess that it DOES conduct electricity. Hence the name .... di-electric grease. ???

BTW, I have dielectric grease ON the electrical metal connector parts on the plow rig. Seems OK. Just wondering if regular old grease would work as well since I have plenty of that stuff?

Carpenter98
01-09-2011, 04:24 PM
seems to me that if it was that conductive, you'd be getting shorts. it would be like having water in the plug. When the conductors touch, there is the contact. the grease just seals out where they don't touch but doesn't allow current to pass through.

MarkEagleUSA
01-09-2011, 04:37 PM
I'd guess that it DOES conduct electricity. Hence the name .... di-electric grease.Dielectric grease does NOT conduct electricity. From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_grease):

Dielectric grease is a nonconductive grease. Because it is nonconductive it does not enhance the flow of electrical current. Electrical conductors should not be coated with dielectric grease prior to being mated. However, dielectric grease is often applied to electrical connectors, particularly ones which contain rubber gaskets, as a way to provide a nonconductive lubricant and sealer for the rubber portions of the connector. The widest use of dielectric grease is in high-voltage connections associated with spark plugs. The grease is applied to the rubber boot of the plug wire. This helps the rubber boot slide onto the ceramic insulator of the plug. The grease also acts to seal the rubber boot, while at the same time preventing the rubber from becoming stuck to the ceramic. Generally spark plugs are in located in areas of high temperature, and the grease is formulated to withstand the temperature range expected.

Another common use of dielectric grease is on the rubber mating surfaces or gaskets of multi-pin electrical connectors used in automotive and marine engines. The grease again acts as a lubricant and a sealant on the nonconductive mating surfaces of the connector. It is not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive contacts of the connector because it could interfere with the electrical signals passing through the connector.

Plowfixguys
01-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Just be careful your not using a grease with a high petroleum/hydrocarbon content, it could soften the rubber of the plug. Fluid Film is great for the plugs!

Bagger
01-09-2011, 06:02 PM
I looked at some stuff Online and found this. From what I could see from the photos, (sorry they are not posted here) ... it looks like they are filling the female boots with the stuff and connect. One shows them placing the dielectric grease pretty thickly across the connecting surface.

Here's the 'words' ....

Permatex® Dielectric Tune-Up Grease

Protects electrical connections and wiring from salt, dirt and corrosion. Extends the life of bulb sockets. Prevents voltage leakage around any electrical connection. Also prevents spark plugs from fusing to boots. Required for modern high energy ignition systems.

Suggested Applications: Marine and automotive electrical connections, spark plug boots, trailer hitches, battery terminal

Dielectric Grease Review

Dielectric grease is used to keep moisture out of the electrical connections on your wiring and to inhibit corrosion. Typically applied to permanent connections, it also can be useful with temporary electrical connections, for example, with infrequent towing. Dielectric grease is a lubricant composed of petroleum grease with an added thickener.


How to Apply Dielectric Grease

4-Flat or 5-flat electric plugs
Apply a thin line of grease across the length of the plug prior to making the connection. You can also apply it to any plug with a cover to keep moisture out of the plug between uses and during use.

6-Pole or 7-pole connections
Can be used on plug prior to connecting to keep out moisture.

T-One wiring harness connectors
Apply a thin line across the plug prior to attaching to back of tail lights.

Scotch locks
A little dab prior to inserting wires in the scotch lock gives a corrosion-resistant barrier.

Ground wires
When you are securing a ground wire to your vehicle or trailer, you can apply a small dab of dielectric grease on the surface where you will be drilling and simply drill through it and into the steel. This pushes the grease onto the threads and into the steel and protects the connection.

Battery terminals
Make battery posts last longer and keep corrosion from starting by cleaning and applying a thin layer of dielectric grease, then making your connections.

Conductivity
Conductivity is a material's ability to conduct an electrical current. While dielectric grease is not a conductor of electrical current, it does help to preserve the integrity of the metals by reducing corrosion. A small amount of dielectric grease between conductors can also allow a charge to pass through.

twinman326
01-09-2011, 06:06 PM
that what your suppose to do..dielectric grease will not hurt it...think of it as a sealant.. It protect the plugs

Mattsautobody
01-11-2011, 02:11 AM
i had to use anti-sieze on my power plug because the connections are a little loose, couple smacks with the hammer, no more issues