PDA

View Full Version : New Salt-Traxx digital job tracker

SnowEx Products
06-30-2010, 10:46 AM
SnowEx introduced the V-Maxx Salt-Traxx digital job tracker at the SIMA Symposium 2010, June 24-25, in Providence, R.I. This is a new tool designed to help contractors document and evaluate their salt spreading applications. It simply plugs into the existing controller on select SnowEx V-Maxx spreaders and records important data, such as the amount of salt used and time spent on each job.

To use the Salt-Traxx, you first select a pre-set job number for a specific client or property. After the job is started, the unit measures the total amount of salt being spread according to the V-Maxx controller settings and time elapsed. The data is displayed on a digital read-out and also saved to a standard removable USB memory stick. When finished, you can plug the memory stick into a personal computer and upload the information in a format compatible with Microsoft Excel. The spreadsheet shows the date, number of starts and stops, time elapsed, and cubic feet of salt used under each job number.

This eliminates the need to write down information by hand on the jobsite. It also gives contractors a new ability to evaluate their operations and maximize efficiency. The data helps for billing clients and deciding how much salt to purchase from season to season. Furthermore, it provides documentation for reducing liability in the event of a slip-and-fall claim.

The Salt-Traxx is compatible with both new and existing models of these V-Maxx spreaders: SP-8500, SP-9300, SP-9500, SP-2200 and SP-2400.

We want your feedback. Tell us what you think.

JohnnyRoyale
06-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Great idea.

Bruce'sEx
06-30-2010, 07:33 PM
It's a great idea, and I could see it as something to think about when we are do for replacement of salt spreading equipment. Are there plans tie it into pre-wetting systems too?

SnowEx Products
07-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Are there plans tie it into pre-wetting systems too?

Unfortunately, we donít have a near-term solution for integrating the Salt-Traxx digital job tracker with our pre-wetting systems, but we do have it on our minds because weíre seeing more people like you starting to pre-wet their material.

SnowEx Products
09-01-2010, 03:50 PM
It's a great idea, and I could see it as something to think about when we are do for replacement of salt spreading equipment. Are there plans tie it into pre-wetting systems too?

Because of requests like yours, we've developed a solution for this. Now, you can plug a PWS sprayer into the Salt-Traxx and then connect the Salt-Traxx to the V-Maxx controller. Although the Salt-Traxx canít currently record the amount of liquid sprayed, the PWS will integrate with the V-Maxx and spray according to the material feed rate.

Brian Young
09-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Great idea but no one asked the magic question....PRICE.

SnowEx Products
09-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Great idea but no one asked the magic question....PRICE.

List price for the Salt-Traxx is $795, but be sure to check with your dealer for current specials.

elite1msmith
09-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Can you explain exactly how this unit operates and calibrates? If it works with the 2400. How does it know the difference between the duo bed being fully loaded and in the up position or. Bed near empty

SnowEx Products
09-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Can you explain exactly how this unit operates and calibrates? If it works with the 2400. How does it know the difference between the duo bed being fully loaded and in the up position or. Bed near empty

SnowExís auger feed system provides a precise, consistent amount of material to the spinner. And weíve done a lot of research and testing to measure our spreadersí material feed rates according to the auger speed settings.

The Salt-Traxx works by plugging into the spreaderís controller and monitoring the auger speed setting. By calculating the augerís rotational speed and time elapsed, the Salt-Traxx can determine how much material was spread from when the operator pressed start to when he pressed stop. This does require some special calibration because various materials will spread at different rates. However, the Salt-Traxx comes with easy-to-follow instructions for calibrating any type of material and saving them as pre-sets for quick recall.

Of course, the V-Maxx 2200 and 2400 models rely on the operator keeping the dump bed raised enough to keep the auger properly fed. But as long as the operator ensures a sufficient flow of salt to the spreader, the auger will deliver a measurable amount of material to the spinner.

Brant'sLawnCare
11-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Will it work on an 8000 model?

SnowEx Products
11-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Will it work on an 8000 model?

Sorry, the Salt-Traxx will not work with your SP-8000. There isnít a data port on your controller for the unit to plug into.

ponyboy
11-10-2010, 02:01 PM
i say waste of money, just plug it in to controller great another thing on our controller to help burn out control box any one who uses snow ex know their boxes last about 2 years then are toast.. Also any one who has been salting enough knows how much salt they use and the 9500 holds 3 yards so you should be able to look and see 1/2 or 1/3 etc.. I like my 5 snow ex but i know they are expensive parts and adding one more to me is a waste

SnowEx Products
11-11-2010, 04:07 PM
i say waste of money, just plug it in to controller great another thing on our controller to help burn out control box any one who uses snow ex know their boxes last about 2 years then are toast.. Also any one who has been salting enough knows how much salt they use and the 9500 holds 3 yards so you should be able to look and see 1/2 or 1/3 etc.. I like my 5 snow ex but i know they are expensive parts and adding one more to me is a waste

The Salt-Traxx might not be for everyone, but we do have a lot of contractors who are very excited to try it this winter. Sure, a person can estimate the time spent and amount of material spread on each job. But the Salt-Traxx eliminates guesswork and saves time because now you donít have to leave the pickup cab or write anything down on paper. It also helps prove to clients that you serviced their lots, and the documentation can be used to help reduce your liability. And in regards to your controller concern, the Salt-Traxx will not cause any damage by plugging into it.

Thanks for being a SnowEx customer!

ponyboy
11-11-2010, 07:09 PM
why not it is drawing from the same wires and fuses then why did it go from a 1 or 2 year warrenty down to a 3 month warrenty because you know there are problems with the controlers

ColumbiaLand
11-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I would be interested to see the technology adapted for use in a drag chain spreader.

Wayne Volz
11-14-2010, 12:53 PM
I would be interested to see the technology adapted for use in a drag chain spreader.

Due to the inconsistency in the amount of material that is pulled to the back of the spreader with a drag chain system, it will be difficult I would think. Being a SnowEx user myself, I like the idea of the auger feed system. That's why the salt-traxx works for their product. They know that the auger pulls a given amount of material per revolution to the spinner.

SnowEx Products
11-15-2010, 09:04 AM
why not it is drawing from the same wires and fuses then why did it go from a 1 or 2 year warrenty down to a 3 month warrenty because you know there are problems with the controlers

When you purchase a new spreader with a Salt-Traxx, the controller and Salt-Traxx device are backed by a 2-year limited warranty. If you have to buy any parts, including a replacement controller or Salt-Traxx, they are now covered by a 12-month warranty. Previously, SnowEx parts were only covered by a 90-day policy, but we increased the length of coverage this year to raise our level of customer service.

elite1msmith
11-15-2010, 03:00 PM

well i aggree with you that i would not want to overly complicate things but, i also am not always the guy in the salt truck- rarely does the papper work ever get done correctly quickly by other drivers, and if you know exact qty of material used on a seasonal site you have that much more info for next years bidding.

to be honest all they need to do is tie in a date/time stamp with a GPS location, and tie in the use of a snow plow.. and everything would be logged. I had this idea 7 years ago but figured it would be too expensive. SImply wire up a box, and every place you go is recorded, all plow movements, all spreader fuctions. heck if that then tied back in your billing software how easy would your job be

ponyboy
11-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Well that is good to know now last year my dealer told me 3 months and that was it so i threw out a controler $600 in the garbage
I WOULD LOVE A SOULTION. GLAD TO SEE A COMPANY TAKE SOME RESPONBILITY GOOD JOB

elite1msmith
12-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Has anyone purchased one of these yet? Some feed back would be helpful

SnowGuy73
12-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Has anyone purchased one of these yet? Some feed back would be helpful

I was wondering the same, I would love to hear how it works.

dieseld
12-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Subscribing.

MarkG
01-24-2011, 04:07 PM
SnowExís auger feed system provides a precise, consistent amount of material to the spinner. And weíve done a lot of research and testing to measure our spreadersí material feed rates according to the auger speed settings.

Is there a reason why SnowEx does not publish these settings. SIMA requires you to in dry conditions basically spread salt in an pre measured area, then apply salt to it, sweep it up and measure the weight thus giving you an estimated application rate. Why are these rates simply not published on the site?

On a side note. I like the idea of being able to measure data, however it seems that the manufacturers are always 2 or 3 years behind what the industry needs. We are more and more being pressured in to applying less salt or SMART salt, thus the application of wetting agents added or applied. What time frame do you see the wet data logger being added to the line up?

SnowEx Products
01-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Is there a reason why SnowEx does not publish these settings. SIMA requires you to in dry conditions basically spread salt in an pre measured area, then apply salt to it, sweep it up and measure the weight thus giving you an estimated application rate. Why are these rates simply not published on the site?

On a side note. I like the idea of being able to measure data, however it seems that the manufacturers are always 2 or 3 years behind what the industry needs. We are more and more being pressured in to applying less salt or SMART salt, thus the application of wetting agents added or applied. What time frame do you see the wet data logger being added to the line up?

Calibration information for all of our spreaders is included in the ownerís manual. It will show you how to determine your feed rate according to the SnowEx controllerís settings. Let me know if you need a calibration chart for your spreader, and I can get you a new one.

Also, I donít have a timeline for developing a unit that tracks the amount of solution that has been sprayed. However, Iíd like to note that SnowEx pre-wetting sprayers can sync with our V-Maxx SP-8500, SP-9300 and SP-9500 spreaders to spray the ideal amount of fluid according to the spreaderís feed settings. This feature helps keep material usage to a minimum.

MarkG
01-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Calibration information for all of our spreaders is included in the ownerís manual. It will show you how to determine your feed rate according to the SnowEx controllerís settings. Let me know if you need a calibration chart for your spreader, and I can get you a new one.

Also, I donít have a timeline for developing a unit that tracks the amount of solution that has been sprayed. However, Iíd like to note that SnowEx pre-wetting sprayers can sync with our V-Maxx SP-8500, SP-9300 and SP-9500 spreaders to spray the ideal amount of fluid according to the spreaderís feed settings. This feature helps keep material usage to a minimum.

That would be great. I would love to have the calibration chart.
here's my email: gillngin@sympatico.ca

SnowEx Products
01-25-2011, 02:30 PM
That would be great. I would love to have the calibration chart.

You can click here to download a calibration chart. Thanks.

dieseld
01-25-2011, 07:47 PM
How close are these numbers for the 8500?

turbo5560
01-25-2011, 08:56 PM
You can click here to download a calibration chart. Thanks.

i never saw that in the manual... wish i looked harder cause that would have saved me a ton of time!

elite1msmith
01-26-2011, 08:53 AM
I still would like to hear from someone that purchased this product

vincent
01-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Can this tracking system be used on the 7550?

I seen the above post about the other spreaders it will go with.

Just making sure, would be nice, hint, hint

elite1msmith
01-30-2011, 12:27 AM
I'm pretty sure you have to have the v max controller not sure if that would work with yours or not

Wayne Volz
01-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Can this tracking system be used on the 7550?

I seen the above post about the other spreaders it will go with.

Just making sure, would be nice, hint, hint

At this time the Salt Traxx does not work with the 7550 control box. I have two 7550's myself and I am looking forward to the opportunity to utilize the new technology.

rv4jesus
03-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Mr Snowex, I'm new at this and just bought a 575 spreader and want to make sure I have my application rate right. According to the Minnesota DOT guidelines I thought I should be applying 1.5 lbs dry salt per 1000 sf at 25-30F with snow. Rounding to 2 lbs per 1000sf that is about 1/10th of the rate you suggested at 869/lbs per acre as referenced beneath the 93/9500 chart. What am I missing? Thanks for your help and I appreciate all the support your company has given me.

Matson Snow
03-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Mr Snowex, I'm new at this and just bought a 575 spreader and want to make sure I have my application rate right. According to the Minnesota DOT guidelines I thought I should be applying 1.5 lbs dry salt per 1000 sf at 25-30F with snow. Rounding to 2 lbs per 1000sf that is about 1/10th of the rate you suggested at 869/lbs per acre as referenced beneath the 93/9500 chart. What am I missing? Thanks for your help and I appreciate all the support your company has given me.

Its because DOT Guide lines are based on i think 800#s of salt per lane mile....Salting parking lots is a totaly different ball game...Easy way to figure is a 1000# per acre on Parking lots.....Some times it will take more depending on conditions...Sometimes it will take less.....

rv4jesus
03-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the help Matson.

The info from SIMA was titled "Deicing Application Rates for Parking Lots and Sidewalks" but after more careful reading above that it said "...based on application rates for Minnesota roads. Use with caution and adjust as needed."

Increasing the numbers by a factor of more than 10 is a big adjustment, but I thought the rates seemed really low. Does anyone really put that little salt down (1.5 lbs per 1000 sf) on the roads? I may need a bigger spreader!

WE DO SNOW
12-17-2011, 04:38 PM
We purchased a new 9500 unit with the salt-traxx tracker. Anybody else with one of these? Did/Does it work? Any problems with yours, ours is ready for the trash, a HUGE disapointment for the expense!!

Wayne Volz
12-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Is the problem with the 9500 or the salt-traxx?

WE DO SNOW
12-19-2011, 05:05 PM
On the 2nd load, 2 bolts broke on viberator. Minor I know, but the Salt - Traxx is the bigger issue. Just glad we have only had 3 small 1/2 inch events. Purchased the salt unit from our local dealer, Salt-Traxx came from snowEx, damaged. Took 2 weeks to get me a new flash drive, and still nobody can agree or tell me how it works. Wished I had an I.T. dept. who could devote a week to sort thru all the lies and bs.from snowEx.. Spent alot of money, just want/need it to work the way they promised me it would when I wrote the check. I could go on, there is plenty more to say.:confused:

Showmestaterida
12-19-2011, 05:14 PM
That sucks. They hyped it up on here and know no help from them. Never seen one nor heard anybody talking about them except for the rep here. I would try contacting them directly,w/ no middle man. What did this unit cost? I would ask for a refund if it doesn't work wright , no bs. Good luck.

WE DO SNOW
12-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the good luck wish. That's the problem, it is direct. Ask 4 service tech's at snowEx and you will get 5 different answers, all different from the one they gave while giving me the sales pitch. $10,914.00 plus $25.00 for shipping of the Salt-Traxx. The problem with the refund, it I have a customer who needs this spread sheet weekly for their records. 6 weeks since we took ownership, still no spread sheet. Customer is not to happy with us!!!!!.

Turf Guy
12-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the good luck wish. That's the problem, it is direct. Ask 4 service tech's at snowEx and you will get 5 different answers, all different from the one they gave while giving me the sales pitch. $10,914.00 plus $25.00 for shipping of the Salt-Traxx. The problem with the refund, it I have a customer who needs this spread sheet weekly for their records. 6 weeks since we took ownership, still no spread sheet. Customer is not to happy with us!!!!!.

Welcome to the wonderful world of snow ex.... Bought the same unit last year, it's still sitting at the dealer for warranty repairs..... They can't get Snow Ex to call them back, I can't them to call me back.... It's really discouraging.... I have a fair amount of their product and just feel like I'm being left out in the cold!!!tymusic

Showmestaterida
12-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Wheres the rep ? they advertise here .

lotus6six
12-21-2011, 10:29 AM
3rd season and I haven't had any problems yet. But I have a smaller unit, 1075

Turf Guy
12-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Wheres the rep ? they advertise here .

The dealer has tried to get a rep to come out with no luck, it seems SnowEx just wants to wash their hands of it.... To bad, because they have a good product, just quality control was lacking on our 9500.... Should never have left the factory wired backwards, and we wouldn't have the problems we have!
tymusic

dieseld
12-21-2011, 09:55 PM
I tried calibrating my new Salt Traxx today. No luck. Tried 3 times reading the directions exactly.

thebb
12-26-2011, 05:04 PM
It took me 3 tries, but I did manage to get it calibrated. I found the instructions to be inaccurate though.
When you are doing your calibration, each time the box fills up, hit the stop button on the data tracker when you shut off the spreader control. After the box is emptied, as you turn the spreader back on to fill the box again, hit the start button again. I found that if I hit start/stop each time the box filled it seemed to calibrate alright.
I have to re-calibrate this week...the bolts came loose and the auger pulled away from the transmission....so I can only hope it goes well.

dieseld
12-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Let me know if it works again

thebb
01-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Today I calibrated the data tracker, and got better reults than the first time. When the tracker shows 1cu ft, the calibration box is about 1 inch from the top when leveled off.

The instructions that come with the data tracker are very unclear, and appear to me to be missing some steps. I will do my best to fill in the blanks.

-loosen bolt, remove spinner
-truck and vibrator must be on during calibration
-adjust auger speed to 10, so it is ready to start
-go through the tracker and find the calibration mode. i'm working from memory, but when you see calibration on the screen hit the up button, or maybe the down. The curser will move towards the right of the screen. Hit start/stop.
-the screen should now read "Speed 10 Next"
-you will need a second person to make this easier. Turn on the spreader and immediatley hit the start button on the tracker. Get your helper to tell you when the box is full, then shut off the tracker and the spreader power at the same time. Showing on the tracker screen it should say a RAW value...ie, mine was RAW 9 after the first time.
-do this process 2 more times, making sure that each time your turn the spreader of/off you turn the tracker on/off also
-after it is done 3 times, press the setup button and the screen should read "SPEED 50 DONE
-turn the spreader on without the tracker long enough to adjust the auger speed to 50, then shut it off.
-using the same steps as before fill the calibration tote 3 times remembering to start/stop the tracker each time the spreader is turned on or off.
-after the box is filled 3 times, hit the up button to move the curser to DONE on the screen. Hit the start/stop button.
-the screen should return to what i will call the main display screen. I then set my auger speed to 25, which is what I commonly use and filled the calibration box on last time watching the display screen. I shut the spreader off when the screen showed 1cu ft and checked to see how close the calibration was.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.