PDA

View Full Version : Snow Ex 575 Problems

bike5200
05-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Got a 575 spreader, near the end of the season the spreader would not start, if I went and spun the spinner by hand first, it would start OK. I use to be able to garb the spinner and turn it either way by hand, now it will spin one way and will have to wiggle it to spin the other way. Took the motor and transmission out of the spreader. Removed the transmission from the motor and took the inspection plate off. The grease was not even touching the gears and when I scraped it out of the box it was not sticking to the gears or the transmission housing. Looks like grease needs to be a different type. The large gear is not smooth on the area where the teeth are cut, it is convexed, is this the way it should be? Are these transmission rebuildable?

SnowEx Products
05-13-2010, 02:32 PM
First, sorry for the delayed response to your question. We just discussed this issue at our R&D meeting. As always, the best solution is to call our customer service department at 1-800-SALTERS. There, you can speak directly with a technician who can walk through this scenario with you. Itís the best way to diagnose technical issues like this. However, here are a couple factors to keep in mind:

First, make sure you do not overfill the transmission with grease. Also, be sure to check your ownerís manual for the correct type of grease to use in your spreader.

Next, the large gear you mentioned is supposed to be convexed. This allows it to accept the worm (pinion) gear.

Thanks for purchasing a SnowEx product. We hope to hear from you soon at 1-800-SALTERS.